I "migrated" this blog post to superuser.com.
I was attempting to repair the welcome screen on Windows XP for a client yesterday.
Here's a list of the repair steps I attempted:
- Toggled Welcome Screen / Fast User Switching
- Ran System File Checker:
- Checked Fast User Switching Compatibility service (
- Checked Terminal Services service
- Checked Event Viewer (Winlogon) for issues
- Verified no GinaDLL entry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\LogonTypewas set to 1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\AllowMultipleTSSessionswas set to 1
- Imported the Restore Fast User Switching registry file from kellys-korner-xp.com (includes AllowMultipleTSSessions)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\systempossibly overriding the above
- Ran XP_FixLogon.exe from dougknox.com to verify the default standard Gina was in use
- Getting desperate: double checked stats of gina files:
dir *gina* /p/s/a(even after SFC verified them)
Ran Logon Loader Recovery Tool, which finally repaired it!